Truman’s Office of Student Research offers a $500 travel scholarship for students presenting the results of their research, scholarship and creative activities at professional meetings and conferences. The purpose of this scholarship is to aid in the dissemination of student research, promote networking opportunities, and increase student participation in conferences. The Office of Student Research encourages students to pursue funding for discipline-specific conferences and undergraduate research conferences, such as NCUR. Following travel, students are required to file a 1-page report with the Office of Student Research about what they did and learned at the conference.
To be eligible for funding, you must be a currently enrolled, full-time Truman undergraduate or graduate student. You must have completed or be currently involved in a faculty-mentored research experience and plan on presenting at the conference. Students can only receive one OSR Travel Scholarship during the course of their academic career at Truman.
- Conference details, including the name and location of the conference
- A copy of your abstract, including the title and authors
- A letter of support from your faculty-mentor explaining the nature of the meeting and why it’s appropriate for you to attend this meeting
Selection criteria: Students will be selected from each school via a lottery system. A minimum of 1 student from each school will be selected per call. If funding is available for more than 5 students, then all students will be put in a general pool for selection.
The $500 scholarship can be used to cover the following expenses:
- Conference registration
- Transportation to the conference and hotel (airfare, mileage, shuttles, etc.)
- Hotel expenses
Reimbursements must be completed and submitted within 1 month from the last date of travel or by June 30th, whichever is sooner
Spring funding (January-June)
- Application deadline: November 27th, 2018
Fall funding (July-December)
- Application deadline: April 15th, 2019
Submit Your Conference Travel Scholarship Application