The Office of Student Research sponsors the TruScholars Summer Undergraduate Research Program by providing stipends to conduct research full-time during the summer.
The focus of the program is intensive, faculty-student collaborative activity in original efforts directed toward the advancement of knowledge and understanding within all academic disciplines.
Explore these links for more details about the TruScholars Program:
The purpose of the TruScholars program is to foster collaborative faculty-student research to enhance student learning and promote a culture of research, scholarship, and creative activities at Truman. Projects supported by this program should exhibit the potential for scholarly publication, presentation at a regional or national conference, public performance or a gallery exhibit.
The formal part of the 2019 TruScholars program will coincide with the eight-week Summer semester, June 3-July 26, 2019. During this time, students should devote full-time effort to their project and faculty mentors should be continuously available for consultation and collaboration.
To be eligible, students must have completed their freshman year by the May preceding participation in the program. Eligible students must plan to graduate no sooner than the Fall semester following participation in the program. Eligible students must be in good academic standing. Eligible students must be full-time, active students registered for 12 credit hours during the Fall semester following participation in the program. Faculty and students must be able to attend all of the mandatory TruScholars program activities (see below).
- Orientation- Date TBD
- Attendance at least two of three workshops, date and location TBD
- Applying to Graduate School
- Disseminating Your Work
- How to Give a Professional Presentation
- Saturday, August 24, 2019: Summer Research Symposium– Students make oral presentations about the results of their projects to a general audience.
Applications are due by 11:59 PM on March 1, 2019 and will be reviewed by the Office of Student Research Steering Committee. Students and mentors will be informed of the success of their application by March 22, 2019 and a contract for acceptance of a TruScholars position will need to be signed by March 29, 2019. Applications will be ranked according to quality on each of the following criteria (not necessarily in the following order):
- Overall quality of the project description, including how well the goals, rationale, and research plan are articulated
- The potential of the project to provide educational value to the student and/or new insights into the discipline
- The suitability and preparation of the student for the project
- The demonstrated ability of the faculty member to successfully mentor undergraduate research/scholarship projects
- Availability of the mentor to the student during the TruScholars Program period
Important Application Dates
- March 1, 2019
- March 22, 2019
Students notified of the success of their application
Important Program Dates
- June 3, 2019
TruScholars Program begins
- July 26, 2019
TruScholars Program ends
- August 24, 2019
Present at Summer Research Symposium